||Editors' Choice: "Bottom Line: Affordably-priced and feature-rich, Note Taker HD is the iPad app for professionals in need of note-taking software." -PCMag.com, June 2011
Note Taker HD is a powerful app for writing and organizing handwritten notes, diagrams, etc., on the iPad. It can shrink your writing so you can easily fit a lot of text on a page. You can read the reduced-size "ink" as if you had written those letters with a very fine pen. It gives you solid functionality and control to produce the pages you need.
Documents are flexibly organized by tags, date/time last modified, favorites, and more, with a scrolling list of thumbnail images of part of each page to help you find them later. You can email one or more pages as a single PDF file, "Open In" other apps, or, if your iPad supports it, print.
Note Taker HD lets you create pages by writing on the screen with your finger or an iPad-compatible stylus. You can either write directly on the page for large drawings, or have the "ink" you write shrunk down. You can write in large letters on the screen rather than trying to make tiny motions like a pencil. You just keep writing and Note Taker HD automatically adds new writing next to the old. To quickly correct mistakes, it has multi-level undo and redo buttons as well as an eraser -- just drag your finger over the page to erase the "ink" under it.
You can zoom in and out on a page using the pinch gesture while viewing or editing. The Zoomed Editing window lets you see both a zoomed-out overview and a zoomed-in close-up writing area at the same time.
You can use "Open In" in other apps or iTunes to send PDF files to Note Taker HD for annotation.
Other features include:
- Pages organized into documents and folders
- Typed blocks of text with optional borders
- 60+ highly customizable shapes
- Insert images from Photo Albums, Pasteboard, or the iPad 2 camera
- Custom backgrounds from images or PDF pages
- Free templates and clip art on the support web site
- VGA/HDMI/AirPlay support with zoom and pan
- Wrist guard to avoid inadvertent touches
- Layout variations better suited to some left-handed users
- Optional fields in output footers like in a word processor
- Extensive built-in help
- Smooth and crisp ink on screen and in PDF output
- Share editable copies of your documents with others
- Backup to a single file for off-iPad storage
- Password protected folders
- Support for the iOS Data Protection API
- Full-screen preview mode
- Copy/Cut/Paste between pages
Note Taker HD was designed and programmed by Dan Bricklin, the same person who 30 years ago came up with VisiCalc, the pioneering electronic spreadsheet that made working with numbers on a personal computer so easy.
To see it in action, click on the Support link here or go directly to www.notetakerhd.com.