17 Steps to Success With the iPod Touch
1. FaceTime is perhaps the most impressive new feature on the iPod Touch. At the tap of a button you can see the faces of your friends, and they can see you.
2. Setting up a FaceTime "call" is easy -- as long as you have a Wi-Fi connection. Before you start you will need to enter your Apple ID and e-mail address on your iPod Touch. FaceTime connections are set up via your e-mail address (unlike on the iPhone where it's your phone number).
3. Now tap the FaceTime app and go through your list of contacts to find a friend who has set up FaceTime calling on their iPod Touch, or who has FaceTime on their iPhone. Once you find the person you want to connect click FaceTime to request a connection.
4. An invitation pops up on their iPod Touch or iPhone 4 screen asking if your friend wants to join you. When they accept, your FaceTime "call" begins.
5. FaceTime calls work in both portrait and landscape, and you can use the camera on the back of the iPod to show your friend where you are.
Highlight: Game Center
6. Another new feature on the iPod Touch is Game Center. Once you've downloaded iOS 4.1, you'll see a Game Center app on your Home screen. If you want to play multiplayer games, just tap it and sign in with your Apple ID.
7. You can create a nickname that will be visible to friends and the gaming community. Friends can find you via your e-mail address and you can associate a number of e-mail addresses with the Game Centre app so all your friends can find you.
8. Once you are ready to play a game you can invite someone to join you. Once you're signed in to the Game Center app, you can invite someone by sending a friend request using their nickname or e-mail address.
9. It's easy to find your friends as they show up in a Friends list in the Game Center app.
10. If you can't find a friend to play with, the Game Center app will set you up with another player from anywhere in the world. Auto-match will always prioritise your friends though.
11. You can mix friends with auto-match players to make up numbers if necessary.
12. You can track friend requests here too as well as take a look at leaderboards and see how your score ranks against your friends. Tap on a friend's name, and you can see what games they've been playing.
Highlight: Take HD Video
13. An advanced backside illumination sensor delivers brilliant video in both bright and low-light settings. We recorded some video at the dimly lit Apple Launch Event.
14. If you want to star in your own movie the VGA-quality camera on the front (used in FaceTime) lets you see yourself on the display while you record.
15. When you've finished shooting, you can edit and share your movie in just a few taps, thanks to the iMovie app.
16. Just drag to select start and end points on a filmstrip. Keep only the parts of the video you want.
17. It's easy to share your finished movies with the world. Upload your HD movie directly to YouTube or share on FaceBook.
For comprehensive coverage of the Android ecosystem, visit Greenbot.com.