Tech For Life: Best apps and gear for getting in shape
If you’re looking to shed some pounds, your mobile device can be an excellent workout partner. Our Tech for Life series makes its triumphant return with an episode that’s all about getting in shape. We’ll show you apps that can help track the food you eat as well as the activities you take part in.
Some of the products featured in this episode include:
- MyFitnessPal, which can help you count calories no matter what smartphone you happen to carry;
- Fitocracy, a website with its own Android and iOS apps that offers a very social take on helping you achieve your fitness goals;
- Runkeeper, a mobile app that calculates everything from your pace to the number of calories you burn every time you go for a run (or in my case, a brisk walk);
- Couch to 5K, a great choice if you’re just getting started with an exercise plan;
- Nike+ Fuelband, an activity-tracking wristband that monitors all your movement; and
- the Fitbit Aria scale, which takes the manual labor out of monitoring your weight.