Don’t like Excel? This spreadsheet-based RPG might change your mind
A lot of us buy into the cliché that accountants are boring and uncreative, but Cary Walkin has shown us how assumptions make an ass out of "u" and me.
The Canadian accountant has created a full RPG game called Arena.Xlsm from scratch, and the cool part? You play it completely within Microsoft Excel. Version 1.0 is available for free, and you can download it for yourself.
Is the game legit? Trust us: Walkin is not kidding around. Arena.Xlsm is a full RPG that’s firing on all cylinders, reminiscent of classics like Ultima or Rogue. Check out the feature list:
- Random enemies: Over 2000 possible enemies with different AI abilities.
- Random items: 39 item modifiers result in over 1000 possible item combinations and attributes.
- An interesting story with 4 different endings depending on how the player has played the game.
- 8 boss encounters, each with their own tactics.
- 4 pre-programmed arenas followed by procedurally generated arenas. Each play-through has its own challenges.
- 31 Spells. There are many different strategies for success.
- 15 Unique items. Unique items have special properties and can only drop from specific enemies.
- 36 Achievements.
- This is all in a Microsoft Excel workbook.
The game has been tested with Excel 2007 and 2010, but not 2013 yet… though it should work fine. And sorry, Apple fans: Walkin’s masterpiece doesn’t work on Macs.