Six More Snow Leopard Tips
In this week's video, I delve into six more Snow Leopard tips that you may or may not be familiar with (some have been covered here in blog entries). Note that this is my second video of six Snow Leopard tips; here's the first video. Why six? Consider it a tribute to the ".6" in Snow Leopard's version number, though yes, we're technically now up to 12 total.
* Format: MPEG-4/H.264
* Resolution: 480 x 270 (iPhone & iPod compatible)
* Size: 14.5MB
* Length: 6 minutes, 44 seconds
Or you can look below for the full-quality video embedded from YouTube. (Please note our videos are now available in HD on YouTube as well!)
During the video, I cover these six tips:
* Enable Quick Look's special X-Ray mode, which works in both 10.5 and 10.6 (this is the only one of these tips that works in 10.5). The secret to this tip is to run this command in Terminal: defaults write com.apple.finder QLEnableXRayFolders 1
* Select Expos
* Use new math formulas in Spotlight.
* Limit the Dock's pop-up menus to just those provided by the system, suppressing application-provided menus.
* Force Dictionary to open definitions from Spotlight and Services in just one window. By default, each definition opens in its own window in 10.6. The secret to this tip is to use this command in Terminal: defaults write com.apple.Dictionary ProhibitNewWindowForRequest -bool TRUE
* Gain fine control over QuickTime X Player's fast forward and rewind speeds.
To subscribe to the Macworld Video Podcast using iTunes 5 or later, click here.
You can also see a complete archive of all our videos on Macworld's YouTube channel. Subscribe to that channels and you will be notified whenever we post a new video.
Or just point your favorite podcast-savvy RSS reader to: